Thursday, April 16, 2009

My life history


Amanda McClellan’s life history…At least up till now
Amanda McClellan was born to David and Lynda McClellan August 6, 1989 in Provo Utah. She is the oldest and the only girl of four children. Her mom had this to say to her about her birth, “I was tired, and I'm sure you were too, but I remember when the doctor first handed you to me. You were crying, and I tried to comfort you. The doctor said ‘It's good for her to cry.’ I knew that, but it still hurt me to see you cry. That's the way I feel about you still. You face adversity so very well. Just face it head on. And, you still cry (not quite so often anymore) and I still want to console you, to comfort you, to make the pain go away, but then I hear the doctor's voice "It's good for her to cry," and I know it is.
“Later that day, while we were still in the hospital, we were in another room and family was coming to see us. The sun was shining through the window, and with your bright eyes, you sought out the light. You kept turning your head and eyes to see the light. I remember looking at the sun reflecting in your eyes, and although it was very bright, you kept turning your eyes toward the window. You still do that. You are constantly seeking the light--whether it be in those you associate with, in the activities you engage in, or in the projects you chose to work on--you are always seeking the light. That is why the light is so bright in your eyes!”
In a blog her dad posted about her he said, “Amanda was born several years ago in a land far from where we are now. She was extremely bright and found great delight in regaling us with clever anecdotes, humorous quips, and melodic poetry. She was a very articulate little girl - a natural leader among her peers, yet comfortable discussing current events with adults. I, of course, am a bit biased in my assessment of her prowess. She shares 50% of my genetic material after all.”
Amanda and her family (at the time it was just her parents, her, and her younger brother Davis) lived in Utah till summer of 1994, when Amanda was four. That summer Amanda, Davis, and their mom visited Amanda’s grandparents in Argentina, where her grandpa was currently serving as area president, while her dad finished his undergraduate. This was the summer that Amanda decided that she wanted to go on a mission. Later that year her family moved to Baton Rouge, Louisiana where Amanda started school. In Louisiana Amanda attended three different schools, Highland Elementary School, Baton Rouge Center for the Visual and Performing Arts, and Greenville Elementary School. In first grade she started wearing glasses and was admitted into the gifted and talented program, two rather significant events in her life.
In March of 1999 Amanda’s dad received a post doctoral fellowship with the Japanese government which took her family to Yokohama Japan. Amanda had almost finished fourth grade when her family moved, but due to the different school year and time of her birthday Amanda had to retake fourth grade in Japan at Fujigaoka Shogaku.
In December of 2000 Amanda’s family returned to Utah when her dad got a job as a BYU professor. Here Amanda made up for the extra year of fourth grade by attending half a year of sixth grade at Cascade Elementary. After sixth grade Amanda attended Canyon View Junior High School. Things got a little rocky for her here (as things generally do for Junior High aged kids) but through these years her passions for singing, theater, art, music, and writing grew.
After attending CVJH she went on to Orem High School. Because she had lived on the campus of Louisiana State University (whose mascot is Mike the tiger) she was extraordinarily excited to be a tiger again, plus the blue and gold colors of Orem High being similar to LSU’s purple and gold. Although this may seem trivial and inconsequential this actually could give quite a bit of insight into her personality. Who knows, she really was pretty psyched about it! But even with all this excitement during her sophomore year she heard about a new charter school on the campus of what was then Utah Valle State College, Utah County Academy of Sciences.
While attending UCAS Amanda was on the Science Olympiad team for the school as part of the Forensics team, which she and her partner received fourth place at the event, and the Disease Detective team, which she and her partner placed eighth. She was also in the choir club, which her mom directed, as well as many other clubs. At the end of the school year she was voted Most Likely to Win American Idol out of all the students in the school. She also decided to run for student government where she ended up becoming Senior Class President.
The 2006-2007 school year, Amanda’s senior year, was exciting with student government, a total of 35 college credits, seminary, and her first job (at KFC/A&W). Following this rather eventful year of school Amanda received her high school diploma, her associate’s degree, and held her first large recital. She had been planning on attending BYU in the fall to study art history, but after finding out her family was moving to Maine because her dad received a job at Bigelow Labs as a scientist, Amanda realized that attending UVSC, which would, within a year, become Utah Valley University, would be a better fit for her. This turned out to be a good decision because with the change in schools she changed her major to Music Performance with vocal emphasis.
When asked to give a few words on the awesomeness of Amanda her Aunt Marilyn Scott said, “One of my most favorite memories of Amanda is seeing her at the airport when I came home from Israel. (I'm pretty sure she had her red and white polka dot dress on.) I had to keep a close eye on her because she would approach anyone and try to have a conversation with them. While I was living in Israel I genuinely missed my little 2 or 3 year old neice and I kept her letters and drawings stuck on the wall above my bed. Looking at those drawings I couldn't be prouder. Even at a young age it was Amanda's nature to make everyone smile.
“There is just not enough good to say about Amanda. When she was living in Lousiana (not sure about the age 5,6,7) she memorized all of the articles of faith and she would also take notes during General Conference. “
Now that Amanda is grown up and out of the house she is still striving for all that is good. She is constantly thinking of ways to make others happy and her cheerful disposition is very contagious. She has been blessed with many talents, and has taken that stewardship very seriously. I believe that one of her greatest joys comes in blessing the lives of others through her talents.”
Her grandma, Jeanine Mickelsen, said, “You were the first granddaughter to us your grandparents. When you were but three days old you went to a restaurant with your Grandmother and Aunts. Your proud dad made sure we had you in a buckled car seat! Yes, she is a ‘Daddy's girl’, which makes me proud - but her best friend is her mother (what more could a mother want).
“She stayed with us in Idaho Falls for about a month, it wasn't long enough. Because of her helpful ways, she learned what was in every room and drawer (making grandma's home her very own) and could/would keep things organized for me. I took it as a compliment when you brought your friends to stay with us later and said, ‘I want you to see Grandma's rag drawer!’ and with pride she pulled it out.
“Your birthday party of Idaho friends who didn't even know you but they came to celebrate with you and experienced your sincere appreciation and squeal when you opened your [Converse] tennis shoes full of money. The shoes were the greatest.
“Amanda has a positive attitude; the cup is always 1/2 full. She gives thanks for things that would go unnoticed by others. Doesn't take much to make her happy, for she even finds happiness in her trials. Her talents have brought great joy to her grandparents - acting, singing, art, interest in children, rag quilt to mention a few. She has knowledge of the gospel as she converses in General Authority terms with her grandfather. He, at times, has asked for counsel and expression of gospel ways! Her keepsakes are a great treasure to her and she keeps everything. Thank You Amanda (Oh yes, a big highlight was our trip, just the three of us to New York, New York. Forgive me for going to sleep in the Broadway Show ‘Wicked’.)”
Her Aunt Janet Lightheart said, “I remember you as a baby. I loved having you around. You were always so happy and delightful. My roommate, Bonne also loved you. I remember the two of us going out and buying a dress for you and then dressing you up. We took lots of pictures. You were such a good sport. You even let us put lipstick and sunglasses on you. You are still a joy to have around - always smiling and aware of others.”
Her Aunt Sarah Mickelsen, who recently married into Amanda’s mom’s side of the family, said, “If I could say just a thing or two about you I would say that you are always happy and willing to reach out to other people. You are very expressive and willing to share your talents which you have been blessed with. I admire you and your ability to sing etc. If only I could.”
And when asked to say something about herself, this is what she had to say, “I personally believe I talk about myself too much. Well, myself or television, either way I talk too much. But life’s been pretty fun. My parents have been awesome, letting me pursue just about everything I’ve ever wanted to pursue, even if it’s a silly idea like being a dancer or an astronomer. They’ve completely supported me in my decisions to be a vocal performer and my goal of working in television (eventually). Yeah, my parents are the reason I am the way I am…well, the good stuff anyway.”

2 comments:

  1. Great history. I loved all the comments. We all love AMANDA! Thanks for being such a great example to my daughters, JAN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda: I just want to share this with everyone. I am so proud of you. I will read it again and smile even bigger..gm

    ReplyDelete