Tuesday, July 12, 2011

So, it's been another week in the MTC...

Hello everyone!!!

So, a lot of the novelty of the MTC has worn off. I don't know what people do when they're only here for 3 weeks...I'm starting week 5 and I feel like I just got here (well, in some regards I also feel like I never had a life before the MTC.) So, Nothing tooooo exciting has happened. We still have our older districts...but today is their last P-day...they're all leaving on MONDAY!!! It's crazy! I am seriously going to miss them soooo so much! It feels a little like high school around here right now with all the Koreans passing around notebooks and journals for people to sign...I love it! Oh...speaking of journals...I'm already almost done with the brand new one I brought and I've only been here four weeks! I didn't realise I'd write so much...wow!

So, one really cool thing that I want to share is about this AMAZING fireside we had on Sunday. It was given by the head-honcho MTC guy, Richard Heaton. He started off by telling us that he wanted to speak about a VERY important principle: repentance. He asked the congregation to come up and share their honest opinions and thoughts on repentance. A lot of people talked about how they understand repentance, but his favorite answers were from the people who felt scared and terrible when they had to repent. He talked to us about the history of the word repentance and how it's Hebrew and Greek roots meant to turn (away from sin and towards God) but that the latin root meant to feel regret/contrition and is the same root as for words like penitent, penitentiary, and penance and that because of the corruption of the bible people like Martin Luther believed that the only true way to repent was from inflicting pain on themselves so they could feel a portion of the suffering of Christ. He then talked of William Tyndale (love that man!) and how when he was translating the bible from Latin to English he made the word repent. It still has the "pent" from the Latin, but it also has the "re" as in return...so now we finally have that thought creeping back into the scriptures. We were then taught a little about the true beauty and joy that comes from repentance. He shared with us some stories of people in his life who had repented...the room ended up in tears...like everyone! After one of his stories he showed a clip of the District (think missionary work reality show, but actually real life...it's amazing!) and he had us watch specifically to see the joy and peace that grew as this woman was going through the repentance process. Now this was a clip we had seen many times in class and had used for an example of how to teach, but watching it form the perspective of the investigator was amazing. Seeing the way she was able to change her life and the joy that she was able to have and how happy her family was...it was amazing! He then began to share scriptures form the book of Alma...this is where I just broke down (Alma is my favorite!) He shared part of Alma 36 (my favorite part) where Alma is teaching his son, Helaman, about his own process of repentance. But it was interesting, because now this scripture hits me harder than it ever has, and it always hits me pretty hard. When Alma is visited by the angel he remembers all his sins and feels the most exquisite pain, but here's what I never realized, as SOON as he says, "O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me..." and that whole part (that seriously fills me with the Spirit every time I read it) as soon as he says that and begins to turn away from sin and finally turn to God, THAT is the moment he begins to feel the most exquisite joy! (if you haven't read Alma 36 lately...you should seriously read it again...it's the best!) We also touched on Alma 26:21 (another favorite chapter in Alma...I pretty much can't go even three days without reading it), Alma 27:18, Alma 42:24, oh I wish I could just share everything with you! It was soooo amazing! Best fireside ever! I'll just share one last thing cuz then I'm out of time (curse my slow wpm)...It's small, but in D&C 109:21 there is a promise given to missionaries. A promise that we can speedily repent...and seriously, how great a promise is that. And I know it's true, because I've already felt it!

Well, I love you all and I honestly wish I had more time...I wish I had time to write you all individually (if you send me your home addresses I can...please PLEASE send me your addresses!!!) I hope you are all doing well and thank you so much for the support you give me. I can feel it! Thanks for the packages (Marilyn) and the emails (grandma) and the letters....and pleeeeaaassee, keep 'em coming...they make my day!

~Sister McClellan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment