Monday, October 12, 2009

Der Erlkönig


So we analysed the scariest piece of music today! It is sooooo cool, but sooooo creepy!
It's Der Erlkönig. Poem by Gothe and music by Schubert. It's based on a German legend, and the poem is about a father and son going through the woods to go home to take care of the sick son and the son hears/sees the Erlking (elf-king) but the father doesn't and continues to reassure the boy while the Erlking continues to scare him. In the end the father rides off with the son as he realizes that the boy is in danger, but it is too late and the son dies! yeah...pretty creepy! But an absolutely AMAZING piece of (really scary) music!


So, here's the translation, but beware...it's scary!
(I'm putting in who talks when...it makes more sense that way!)


(Narrator)
Who rides, so late, through night and wind?
It is the father with his child.
He holds the boy in the crook of his arm
He holds him safe, he keeps him warm.

(Father)
"My son, why do you hide your face so anxiously?"
(Son)
"Father, do you not see the Erl king?
The Erl king with crown and tail?"
(Father)
"My son, it's a wisp of fog."

(Erlking)
"You lovely child, come, go with me!
Many a beautiful game I'll play with you;
Some colourful flowers are on the shore,
My mother has many golden robes."

(Son)
"My father, my father, can't you hear,
What the Erl king quietly promised me?"
(Father)
"Be calm, stay calm, my child;
The wind rustles through dry leaves."

(Erlking)
"Do you want to come with me, dear boy?
My daughters shall wait on you fine;
My daughters lead the nightly dances
And will rock and dance and sing you to sleep."

(Son)
"My father, my father, can't you see there,
The Erl king's daughters in the gloomy place?"
(Father)
"My son, my son, I see it well:
The old willows they shimmer so grey."

(Erlking)
"I love you, your beautiful form entices me;
And if you're not willing, I shall use force."
(Son)
"My father, my father, he's grabbing me now!
The Erl king has done me harm!"

(Narrator)
The father shudders; he rides swiftly,
He holds the moaning child in his arms.
He can hardly manage to reach his farm;
In his arms, the child was dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment