Monday, February 22, 2010

Yet another new life plan: High School teacher

So, I'm here at school waiting for class to start...I was gonna exercise while I waited, but I didn't want to get all sweaty before school.  8am is still early for voice, but it's beginning to feel not so early with the sun starting to wake up at a more reasonable hour.  I've recently decided that I need to figure out how to get certified to become a high school teacher fast, cuz I want to do that (I want to teach art and music, so I think I'm gonna have to wait to actually become one till after my Master's).

he plays Will Schuster from Glee...he's the teacher in charge of the glee club. 

So, I've been watching Glee again (boy do I love that show)!!!  Every time I watch it I just want to teach choir and art/art history!  I wish I'd known this before I was a senior in college, but hey, I'm still young (right?  I always kind of feel like I'm running out of time...I really don't like this feeling...like I have to get everything done NOW cuz there's never gonna be time later...yeah, don't like it.)  I know it may seem like I'm flighty with my interests, but I really don't think I am, I think I just change focus...all my interests tend to be the same.  And with every change of my mind I'm just getting closer to what I really want to do with my life.  I guess I kind of had to be away from high school for a while to realize that I absolutely LOVE working with teenagers.  And yeah, I know, I know, I was a teenager just last year, but seriously, people have been thinking I was 23/24 since I was 17.  I just keep seeing reasons I'd love to teach high school!  It fits in with the whole me wanting to be an EFY counselor and how I loved being Camp Director.  I just hope that getting certified doesn't take too long...I really wouldn't like that idea (or spending a load more money on school...ugh!)  So yeah, that's the new plan.  I'm still going to have the options of being a performer (no thank you!) or a curator (which would still be insanely awesome) but I've realized that I love people (k, I've always known that one) and I really do enjoy teaching (duh, but I've always avoided admitting it).  It was funny, I told my friend, Shuey, last night about my new plan and he looked at me like I was crazy and followed that up by saying, "You really liked high school, didn't you?"  I thought about that for a little bit, and yeah, I most definitely did.  I mean, it was really hard for so many reasons, but if you look at my last two years, I had a bunch of friends, I was super involved, I did fairly well academically (for Manda standards...not normal people standards), I worked really hard, went to every dance (and had a date to almost all of them), etc. etc.  High school was good to me (junior high was another story..and the first two years of high school...but that's ok, we won't get into that.)  Yeah, I think I'll stop now...I just really hope that getting certified won't take too long (I seriously wish I could just jump into student teaching right now!)  But yeah, I think it's a good idea (and smarter for me than elementary school.)

And yeah...that's all!  I want to teach high school.  Goodbye!

~Manda

1 comment:

  1. good idea...i am catching up for we have been in DC for three. xo gm

    ReplyDelete